Friday, February 13, 2009

Parties, Paeds and Pretty sights

Hi,

I am sitting in my room at 10:05pm struggling to stay awake after an epic (~15km) cross country ski trip today. We set off at 11am and caught the metro to our starting point, Frognerseteren. After a very shaky start I eventually found a rhythm and was soon only falling over when going round corners on downhill slopes (tricky!) or avoiding objects (dogs, children, trees). My falls however were often in deep snow and I was nowhere near the picture of gracefulness as I climbed out, then slipped down again, long skis and pole waving in the air. The uni hires out cross country skis for about $80AU for the whole season, but I had previously missed out when I went to get some. Unfortunately, my housemate broke her scaphoid (wrist) slipping on some ice and hence I'm now able to borrow her skis.

In Norway, there are cross country trails absolutely everywhere. Maintained by a special public organisation, they are free for all to use. They even have lights on many routes so that people can go at night. Another feature of the trails is that there are gorgeous cabins dotted across the trails in which you can have a cup of tea, eat your lunch or buy cakes and waffles. As a result, it seems every Norwegian spends their weekend skiing, bringing along their grandparents, children and dogs. Kids as young as 2-3 have their own skis and families go skiing together, setting off from all around the city, as if they were going for a stroll in the woods. And I can see why- the views were simply breathtaking, as we skied through forests, across frozen lakes and in the hills with sweeping views of valleys filled with snow-covered fir trees. It was a beautiful day- the sky was cloudless and blue and the sun was shining. In fact, I may have gotten a bit burnt. This weather is deceptive- it looks like a postcard from inside, but its far colder on days that are sunny and not snowing because there is no cloud cover to trap heat. I'm aching all over now, but it was worth it!

The past week I have been at the hospital, attending paediatric outpatient clinics. We seem to have a lot less clinical exposure in Norway, with only 3 mornings a week at the hospital, followed by 3 afternoons of pracs, seminars or lectures. Thursday is a study day, with nothing scheduled, and Friday is tutes, seminars or lectures. I attended 3 different outpatients clinics with a Norwegian student, Olve, who was very nice about translating for me and asking the doctor to speak to us in English if we were being taught something. I met a few bilingual kids: one of whom was 6 and effortlessly switched between English (her father's mother tongue) and Norwegian depending on who she was talking to.

At the hospital, we all change into white scrubs and a white coat, with 'indoor' shoes to prevent the mud and melting snow being tramped around the hospital. Doctors seem to have a lot of time for students, and I did not get any indication that they resented speaking in English (it seems to be seen as an opportunity to practice). The health care system is very advanced, all medication for children under 12 is free, as is the health care required by pregnant women. Maternity leave is something like a year, and the father gets a fair bit of time as well, with the opportunity for the father to use some of the mother's leave if that suits the family better. I found it interesting to chat to the doctors about the guidelines for prescribing though and I wonder if there is a tendency to prescribe earlier in the course of an illness (eg asthma) here because it is free. Furthermore, whilst in Australia we tend to tread carefully with expensive treatments and medications (eg MRI) I think maybe there is less hesitation here. Whether or not that is a good thing, I'm not sure.

Last weekend, we went to a party at the students cafe/pub/party house/band performance space, Chateau Neuf. This is not solely associated with University of Oslo, but with all the students groups in Oslo. The following day I was exhausted, so had a quiet day strolling in the city and then some friends over to watch a DVD in my room. They had just left and I was heading to bed at 11:30pm when my intercom phone rang. I let my Czech friend in again who rushed in to tell me they were building a snow man, would I like to join them. When I got outside we realised the snow was too fresh (having snowed all day) for a snow man, so we grabbed the trays from their oven and hit the hill outside their place, sledding down it on our trays. It took a fair while to create a path as the snow was so thick (and we got a bit distracted with snow fights) but once the path had reached the bottom her housemate filled a bin bag with pillows and we whizzed down on that! Frozen, with snow down our shirts, in our shoes and all through our hair, we retired to their kitchen for late night tea, vodka, waffles and good company. It was a fantastic, spontaneous, fun night.

Well, I keep thinking of things to say, but forget them when I sit down to write, so I apologise for the spotty nature of this post.

Finally, the fires made the front page of the paper and I have had many people ask me questions about them. I have been reading the Age website and I wish to pass on my sympathy if any of you have been affected by them.

Best Wishes,

Anneke

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Ah, Anarchy! I've just caught up on all your posts this evening - it's been a few weeks, I think you were just in Belfast when last I read. Wow - it sounds like you're having a blast! (At least since you managed to go through all that rig-marole in order to get 7 entry cards ;^)

All your talk about the student bar and the spontaneous parties and snowball fights etc reminds me of studying in Freiburg - which thanks to you just feels like only 2-3 years ago, instead of 10. (OMG!!!!!) I'm so utterly envious of you - in a good way, I promise.

The fires have been truely devastating - one person who died is Prof Rob Pierce, whom you might remember as the quietly spoken yet strangely inspiration lecturer from the respiratory part of Sem 3. There are outpourings of shock and dismay all over, and people have rallied with donations of millions of dollars and food, clothing, caravans and the like. Yet still it doesn't seem real. I remember feeling so glad on the Saturday afternoon when the southerlies started blowing away the oppressive 47 degrees we'd been sweltering under that day. Little did I know that it was those same winds that caused the destruction of towns such as Kinglake and Marysville.

But I don't want to put a downer on your posts. Sorry about that, lovey. Keep up having a ball over there in minus 12 degrees. You have the hats and scarves to enjoy it, that's for sure! If you're looking for a new friend of a friend to visit in Oslo, let me know and I'll pass on the info.

Kirsten has just finished her first week of concerts for the year. Madeleine is doing really well and saying things such as "I kiss my bear" and "There is apples ... and pum (plums)" - she's such a fruit bat - she'd eat only fruit if we gave her the choice. And I've just started ED at The Northern. But the best news is that they've told us when graduation will be - Saturday 5th December. Bring it on!!!

Love and hugs,
Natalie

Two Shea said...

I've worked out why blogs don't get the response you, as writer, think they will, besides the difficulties many have working through the web security that is.

Its just that readers don't know what to say. Its like reading someone's diary, then scribbling comments on the side of the page - somehow it all seems intrusive and out of context.

Anyway that's what struck me last night at 4am.

I read a good article about the new Oslo Opera House built over the water in the harbour: well it wasn't about the House but rather how difficult it was to get to it: there is a 12 lane highway cutting it off from the city. The city authorities are fixing that - a new road tunnel is being built even further off-shore and then the existing highway will be closed, ripped up allowing total access plus urban renewal right across the front of the Op House. Come back in about 5 years.

Your snow exposure is getting better and better. Maybe you can persuade some to go up the mountains here 'pon return.

Best wishes